In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, ALL SERVICES AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AT SAINT ANDREW ORTHODOX CHURCH. We continue to monitor any changes to the current stay at home order in Baltimore City, as well as guidance and directives from Metropolitan Tikhon and the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), to determine when in-person services with limited attendance may resume at our parish.
Additional information is available on the OCA website, to include all statements from the Holy Synod of Bishops of the OCA, as well as a list of sites offering streaming services. Information regarding COVID-19 can also be found on the CDC website.
May God grant us all good health and safety during this time; may He grant strength and wisdom to our spiritual leaders, all care providers and those in civil authority; and may He grant His healing powers and blessings to those who have fallen ill to or have been impacted by this virus.
Welcome to Saint Andrew Orthodox Church! Our parish is located in the historic Butchers Hill District in East Baltimore near Patterson Park. We welcome you to come visit and worship with us and become part of our Orthodox Christian community. Please navigate through our web site to find out more about St. Andrew Orthodox Church, to include taking a virtual tour of our church. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We hope to see you soon at one of our services or events!
Very Reverend Theodore Boback - Parish Rector
A group of 30 families came together in 1940 and founded St. Andrew under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Theodore Shevchuk within the jurisdiction of the Metropolia (now the Orthodox Church in America). Initially, the parish worshipped at Fayette and Linwood Streets until a permanent building was found. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the current building on E. Lombard and S. Chester Streets on Sunday, February 16, 1941.
The Vladicon "R" Club (now the Vladicon "O" Club) was founded in March of 1941, and the Sisterhood formed on May 1, 1941 with 11 founding members. The church building was consecrated on June 29, 1941 by Metropolitan Theophilus. The iconostasis was dedicated in 1943, a school and choir were established, and the mortgage was liquidated by the end of the decade. A church cemetery was established in the 1940s but was moved in the early 1950s to its present location on German Hill Road in Baltimore County.
The church suffered a disastrous fire on Sunday, February 15, 1970, beginning just after Divine Liturgy had ended. The interior, floor, and roof of the church were destroyed, but fortunately no one was injured. One of the few items to survive intact was an icon of St. Andrew. The parish worshiped temporarily at a building on South Broadway from March 1970 to March 1972 while reconstruction at the S. Chester and E. Lombard site took place. The reconstructed church and fellowship hall was consecrated in June 1972. The former church rectory, adjacent to the church, was renovated by parishioners in the early 1980s and was named the St. Andrew Resource Center. It currently houses the church school, pastor's office and meeting rooms.
Today, the parish serves Orthodox Christians from a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds living in Baltimore City and the surrounding metropolitan counties of Anne Arundel, Carroll, Baltimore and Harford. New members are warmly welcome, and inquiries from individuals wishing to learn more about the Orthodox Faith are always encouraged.